Google Drive Odoo Integration
The tool to automatically synchronize Odoo attachments with Google Drive files in both ways
The tool is compatible with both Odoo Enterprise and Odoo Community
The tool price includes all necessary dependencies
Odoo document system is clear and comfortable to use. However, it is not designed to work with files as Google Drive does. To process attachments users need to download a file, to change it, and to upload back. Documents are not synced locally and Odoo doesn't have powerful previewers and editors like Google Documents or Google Spreadsheets. Google Drive doesn't have such disadvantages. This is the tool to integrate Google Drive features into your Odoo business work flow. The app automatically stores all Odoo attachments in Google Drive and provides an instant access to them via web links. In such a way users work with files comfortably in Google Drive, while the results are fully available in Odoo.
- Prepare and keep updated folders' structure in Google Drive
- Upload new attachments to a correct folder
Odoo creates a convenient directory structure in Google Drive: Odoo / Document type name / Document name / Files, where:
- Odoo is a central directory for Odoo Sync in your Drive.
- Document type is a synced Odoo model, for example, 'Sale orders', 'Opportunities', 'Customers'
- You select document types by yourself. It might be any document type
- Moreover, you might have a few folders for a single document type. Use Odoo domains to have not global 'Partners, but 'Customers' and 'Suppliers', not just 'Sale orders' but 'Commercial offers', 'To deliver', and 'Done orders'
- With each sync Odoo would try to update document types' folders. Add a new document type at any moment. It will appear in Google Drive with a next sync
- You are welcome to introduce or change document types folder names at any moment in Odoo. Take into account: renaming in Google Drive will be recovered to Odoo names
- If you remove a model from integration, it will not be deleted from Google Drive to keep already synced files safe. However, new documents of this type would not be synced
- In case you removed a directory in Google Drive, but it is still configured in Odoo, with a next sync a folder structure is going to be recovered (not files, surely).
- Document is an exact object to sync. For instance, 'Agrolait' or 'SO019'
- Documents are synced in case they relate to a synced document type and satisfy its filters. For example, you are not obliged to sync all partners, you may integrate only 'Customers' and 'Vendors' or only 'Companies', not 'Contacts'
- Odoo would generate a folder in Google Drive for each suitable document even for documents without attachments. It is needed for a backward sync to easily add new files
- Google Drive folder name equals a real document name. It relies upon Odoo name_get method. Thus, Odoo 'Michael Fletcher' (a contact of 'Agrolait') would be Google Drive 'Agrolait, Michael Fletcher'
- If an exact document changes its document type (e.g. a quotation is now confirmed), Odoo will automatically relocate its related folder to a proper parent directory (in the example: from 'Commercial offers' to 'To deliver')
- In case a document relates to a few types (for instance, you have 'Vendors' and 'Customers', while Agrolait is both), this document folder would be put into the most prioritized document type. A document type priority is higher as closer to the top in Odoo interfaces it is
- If an Odoo document is removed, the next sync will remove a corresponding Google Drive directory
- In case you remove a directory in Google Drive, but it still exists in Odoo, Google Drive folder structure would be recovered (while files would be unlinked in both Odoo and Google Drive)
- Folders renaming in Google Drive will be replaced with Odoo names, Odoo document names are more important
- Files are real files taken from Odoo attachments
The resulted path would be, for example, 'Odoo / Quotations / SO019 / commercial offer.png'.
The only exclusion of the rule are stand alone attachments which do not relate to any Odoo documents (their document type is 'ir.attachment'). Such attachments' path is 'Odoo / Stand Alone Attachments / image.png'.
The very first sync might take quite a long, since a lot of folders should be created. Afterwards, it would be much faster. However, it is not recommended to make sync too frequent: once an hour seems quite good for large files.Files
With each direct sync, Odoo tries to find not yet synced attachments. If such attachments suit any document type to sync, a file will be uploaded to Google Drive to a proper folder. In Odoo such attachments will become of 'url' type. It means that a file is not any more kept in Odoo server space, but now it is in Google Drive. Until sync is done, Odoo attachment remains binary and stores an actual file. Such approach helps Odoo to work faster.
Clicking on such attachment leads you to a file previewer / editor in Google Drive. Depending on your Google Drive configurations it might be Google Documents, Google Spreadsheets, PDF previewer, etc. Anyway changes to file contents in Google Drive are available in Odoo at the same moment.
If you unlinked an attachment from Odoo, it would be deleted in Google Drive as well.
Take into account that file names should be managed in Google Drive: each backward sync would recover Google Drive names, Odoo is here less important.
- If a new file is added to a proper document folder (e.g. to 'Odoo / Customers / Agrolait'), the same attachment will be added to Odoo document (in the example – to 'Agrolait')
- In document folders you can put not only files but also child folders. In that case a link for this folder (not its content) is kept in attachments
- In case you rename a file in Google Drive, it will be renamed in Odoo as well
- Files' removal from Google Drive leads to related Odoo attachments' removal
- If you move a file to another document folder, in Odoo a related attachment would be re-attached to this new document. Take into account: if you move a file for a not document folder, in Odoo attachment will be deleted as it has been removed from Google Drive
- If you deleted a document type or a document folder, their child files are deleted as well. Thus, Odoo would remove related attachments. The folders, however, will be recovered with a next direct sync. Folders' move to another directory is also considered as a removal. Avoid such situations by following the simple rule: folders are managed mostly by Odoo, files – mostly by Google Drive.
Backward Google Drive sync might take quite much time, since each folder should be checked (the more folders, the more time the backward sync requires). It is recommended to make frequency oftener than once an hour or two hours.
- Take into account that files or folders deleted in Google Drive are really deleted only when you clean trash. Otherwise, such files still exist and would be reflected in Odoo
- Try to avoid the following symbols in folders' and files' names: *, ?, ", ', :, <, >, |, +, %, !, @, \, /,. Direct sync will replace such symbols with '-'. It is done to avoid conflicts with file systems.
- Go to the Google Developer Console via the url https://console.developers.google.com
- Select or create a project
- Press 'Enable APIs and Services'. Find Google Drive API and push the button to enable its API
- Push the button 'Create Credentials'
- 'Web application' as the application type
- As the name use any comfortable
- As the authorised redirect URI add the link in a format [YOURODOOSITENAME]/google_drive_token (e.g. https://odootools.com/google_drive_token). To proceed your Odoo domain should be added to the list of authorized urls
- Save the app and copy 'Client ID' and 'Client Secret' (also available by the button 'Download JSON')
- Go to the Odoo Google Drive Settings
- Copy ' Client ID' to the 'App Client ID'
- Copy ' Client Secret' into the field 'App Secret Key'
- Insert previously generated redirect url
- If you use team Drives, check the related box. Make sure you really use team drives. In you Google Drive you should find the item 'Team Drives' in the left sidebar. This feature is available only for business and enterprise tariffs
- If the option 'Team Drive' is enabled, introduce its name. It should be absolutely the same as you see it in your Google Drive. Make sure that your user has full rights for this team drive
- Press 'Save'
- Press 'Login and Confirm'. Odoo redirects you to Google login page. Check in and grant permissions asked
- After login, Googke redirects you back to Odoo. Google Drive – Odoo synchronization is ready to be done.
- Turn on debug mode
- Go to technical settings > Automation > Scheduled jobs
- Find the jobs 'Synchronize attachments with cloud' and 'Update attachments from cloud'