Google Drive Odoo Integration
The tool to automatically synchronize Odoo attachments with Google Drive files in both ways
The price includes all necessary dependencies = €264 (own price) + €130 (Cloud Storage Solutions)
Odoo document system is clear and comfortable to use. However, it is not especially designed to work with files as Google Drive does. To process attachments users need to download a file, to change it, and to upload back. Documents are not synced locally and Odoo doesn't have powerful previewers and editors.
Google Drive doesn't have such disadvantages. This is the tool to integrate their features into your Odoo business work flow. The app automatically stores all Odoo attachments in Google Drive, and it provides an instant access to them via web links. In such a way users work with files comfortably in the cloud storage, while the results are fully available in Odoo.
Odoo sends attachments to Google Drive and retrieves files from there based on scheduled jobs. No manual interaction is required. Synced attachments are physically kept only in a cloud storage, what increases Odoo interface performance. Simultaneously, you can open documents from Odoo in a second.
Odoo attachments are put into a cloud storage according to the direct sync job. Files uploaded to clouds would be integrated in Odoo as links based on directories' structure during the backward sync job.
- Prepare and keep updated folders' structure in Google Drive
- Upload new attachments to a correct folder
Odoo creates a convenient directory structure in Google Drive: Odoo / Document type name / Document name / Files, where:
- Odoo is a central directory for Odoo Sync in your Drive.
- Document type is a synced Odoo model, for example, 'Sale orders', 'Opportunities', 'Customers'
- You select document types by yourself. It might be any document type
- Moreover, you might have a few folders for a single document type. Use Odoo domains to have not global 'Partners, but 'Customers' and 'Suppliers', not just 'Sale orders' but 'Commercial offers', 'To deliver', and 'Done orders'
- With each sync Odoo would try to update document types' folders. Add a new document type at any moment. It will appear in Google Drive with a next sync
- You are welcome to introduce or change document types folder names at any moment in Odoo. Take into account: renaming in Google Drive will be recovered to Odoo names
- If you remove a model from integration, it will not be deleted from Google Drive to keep already synced files safe. However, new documents of this type would not be synced
- In case you removed a directory in Google Drive, but it is still configured in Odoo, with a next sync a folder structure is going to be recovered (not files, surely).
- Document is an exact object to sync. For instance, 'Agrolait' or 'SO019'
- Documents are synced in case they relate to a synced document type and satisfy its filters. For example, you are not obliged to sync all partners, you may integrate only 'Customers' and 'Vendors' or only 'Companies', not 'Contacts'
- Odoo would generate a folder in Google Drive for each suitable document even for documents without attachments. It is needed for a backward sync to easily add new files
- Google Drive folder name equals a real document name. It relies upon Odoo name_get method. Thus, Odoo 'Michael Fletcher' (a contact of 'Agrolait') would be Google Drive 'Agrolait, Michael Fletcher'
- If an exact document changes its document type (e.g. a quotation is now confirmed), Odoo will automatically relocate its related folder to a proper parent directory (in the example: from 'Commercial offers' to 'To deliver')
- In case a document relates to a few types (for instance, you have 'Vendors' and 'Customers', while Agrolait is both), this document folder would be put into the most prioritized document type. A document type priority is higher as closer to the top in Odoo interfaces it is
- If an Odoo document is removed, the next sync will remove a corresponding Google Drive directory
- In case you remove a directory in Google Drive, but it still exists in Odoo, Google Drive folder structure would be recovered (while files would be unlinked in both Odoo and Google Drive)
- Folders renaming in Google Drive will be replaced with Odoo names, Odoo document names are more important
- Files are real files taken from Odoo attachments
The resulted path would be, for example, 'Odoo / Quotations / SO019 / commercial offer.png'.
The only exclusion of the rule are stand alone attachments which do not relate to any Odoo documents (their document type is 'ir.attachment'). Such attachments' path is 'Odoo / Stand Alone Attachments / image.png'.
The very first sync might take quite a long, since a lot of folders should be created. Afterwards, it would be much faster. However, it is not recommended to make sync too frequent: once an hour seems quite good for large files.Files
With each direct sync, Odoo tries to find not yet synced attachments. If such attachments suit any document type to sync, a file will be uploaded to Google Drive to a proper folder. In Odoo such attachments will become of 'url' type. It means that a file is not any more kept in Odoo server space, but now it is in Google Drive. Until sync is done, Odoo attachment remains binary and stores an actual file. Such approach helps Odoo to work faster.
Clicking on such attachment leads you to a file previewer / editor in Google Drive. Depending on your Google Drive configurations it might be Google Documents, Google Spreadsheets, PDF previewer, etc. Anyway changes to file contents in Google Drive are available in Odoo at the same moment.
If you unlinked an attachment from Odoo, it would be deleted in Google Drive as well.
Take into account that file names should be managed in Google Drive: each backward sync would recover Google Drive names, Odoo is here less important.
- If a new file is added to a proper document folder (e.g. to 'Odoo / Customers / Agrolait'), the same attachment will be added to Odoo document (in the example – to 'Agrolait')
- In document folders you can put not only files but also child folders. In that case a link for this folder (not its content) is kept in attachments
- In case you rename a file in Google Drive, it will be renamed in Odoo as well
- Files' removal from Google Drive leads to related Odoo attachments' removal
- If you move a file to another document folder, in Odoo a related attachment would be re-attached to this new document. Take into account: if you move a file for a not document folder, in Odoo attachment will be deleted as it has been removed from Google Drive
- If you deleted a document type or a document folder, their child files are deleted as well. Thus, Odoo would remove related attachments. The folders, however, will be recovered with a next direct sync. Folders' move to another directory is also considered as a removal. Avoid such situations by following the simple rule: folders are managed mostly by Odoo, files – mostly by Google Drive.
Backward Google Drive sync might take quite much time, since each folder should be checked (the more folders, the more time the backward sync requires). It is recommended to make frequency oftener than once an hour or two hours.
All document types are in the root directory 'Odoo'
Document types' folders
All document of this type has an own folder
Sync any documents you like
You decide by your own which Odoo document types should be synced. Customers, opportunities, sale or purchase orders, tasks or issues, employees or users, so on and so on.
The tool let you split any business model into a few directories. Have a separate folder for individuals and companies, for European and American opportunities, for each project, etc.
Moreover, it is possible to guarantee that only topical documents are synced by using relative periods: leads registered in the last 3 months, invoices updated the last week, and so on.
- Projects: automatically forward all project-related documents to Google Drive to share those with a customer as a cloud link.
- Customers: add all partner files in a single directory available both from Odoo and from Google Drive. Modify those using default cloud editors and access them when working in Odoo.
- Employees: gather all files by this employee in a single cloud folder: photos, document scans, contracts. Access and upload those from Odoo and Google Drive alternatively.
- Opportunities: carefully store all specifications, requirements and any file which would let you make a good offer.
- Orders: keep all printings and contracts in Google Drive with simple availability from Odoo.
Choose document types to be synced
Document type might have a few folders based on filters
Easy accessible files
To open a synced file from Odoo just click on an link in the top entry 'attachments'. Odoo would automatically redirect you to a file previewer. Among others it might be Google Documents and Google Spreadsheets. Besides, you might open a whole document folder by clicking on 'Open folder' on the attachment widget.
Fast access to Google Drive files and folders
Synced files are simply found in Google Drive. Add unlimited number of files or folders here
Individual and team drives
Synchronization works both for individual drives and team drives (Google Suite business and enterprise tariffs). In the latter case the root folder Odoo is place within a chosen team drive, in the first case - within a current user drive.
Sync logs in Odoo
Sync activities might be logged. Control over files and folders creations, moves, name changes and removals. Just turn on the option 'Log sync activities', and you would be able to observe the history through the button 'Sync logs'.
Logged synchronisation activities
Default folders for documents
The tool let generate default directories' structure for this document type during the very first sync of a related object. For example, for all employees you may have pre-defined folders 'Scans', 'Scans/Official', 'Photos', etc.
Default folders for this document types to be created while firstly synced
Applicable to all Odoo apps
Disregarding which apps you have installed in your Odoo, the synchronisation will work. You might integrate any document type including custom objects. Besides, the tool doesn't contradict standard Odoo features. Thus, it is fully compatible with Odoo reporting and mailing. In particular, the reports 'always reload' feature and messages and mass mailing attachments would work properly.
- Take into account that files or folders deleted in Google Drive are really deleted only when you clean trash. Otherwise, such files still exist and would be reflected in Odoo
- Try to avoid the following symbols in folders' and files' names: *, ?, ", ', :, <, >, |, +, %, !, @, \, /,. Direct sync will replace such symbols with '-'. It is done to avoid conflicts with file systems.
Compatible with Odoo Enterprise Documents
The tool works fine with the Odoo Enterprise Documents module. For full compatibility and to reflect new module directories structure use the app Cloud Sync for Enterprise Documents
This tool is not in conflict with the 'documents' module provided by the Enterprise license. Attachments related to Enterprise folders would be synced as any other files: according to a document they relate to. In the most cases it means they would be linked to stand-alone attachments.
It is not always comfortable, and you might be interested in reflecting directories' structure introduced by the module 'Documents'. To this end the extension Cloud Sync for Enterprise Documents (its standard price is 44 Euros) is developed. This tool has the following features:
- The documents hierarchy is reflected within the folder 'Odoo / Odoo Docs'
- Each Odoo folder has a linked cloud folder. Take into account that folders created in the cloud storage will be synced as Odoo attachments. The key principle is: folders are managed by Odoo, files are managed by the cloud client
- All files are synced with the same logic as usual attachments. Files created in Odoo will be added to the cloud storage and will be replaced with links in Odoo. Files created in cloud storage will generate attachments within a paired directory
- Please do not name synced models as 'Odoo Docs'. This is the reserved name for Odoo Enterprise Documents
Odoo Enterprise documents sync
Best module for integration with google drive
The module performs its function correctly and Oddo Tools responds quickly to any problem and, in case of detecting any bug, quickly apply the changes. Its support is 10 stars.
firstname.lastname@example.org in the Odoo Apps Store
- Go to the Google Developer Console via the url https://console.developers.google.com
- Select or create a project
- Press 'Enable APIs and Services'. Find Google Drive API and push the button to enable its API
- Go to OAuth consent screen and create new app with any comfortable name.
- Then, go to Credentials and push the button 'Create Credentials'
- 'Web application' as the application type
- As the authorised redirect URI add the link in a format [YOURODOOSITENAME]/google_drive_token (e.g. https://odootools.com/google_drive_token). To proceed your Odoo domain should be added to the list of authorized urls
- Save the app and copy 'Client ID' and 'Client Secret' (also available by the button 'Download JSON')
- Go to the Odoo Google Drive Settings
- Copy ' Client ID' to the 'App Client ID'
- Copy ' Client Secret' into the field 'App Secret Key'
- Insert previously generated redirect url
- If you use team drives, check the related box. Make sure you really use team drives. In you Google Drive you should find the item 'Team Drives' in the left sidebar. This feature is available only for business and enterprise tariffs
- If the option 'Team Drive' is enabled, introduce its name. It should be absolutely the same as you see it in your Google Drive. Make sure that your user has full rights for this team drive
- Press 'Save'
- Press 'Login and Confirm'. Odoo redirects you to Google login page. Check in and grant permissions asked
- After login, Google redirects you back to Odoo. Google Drive – Odoo synchronization is ready to be done.
- Turn on debug mode
- Go to technical settings > Automation > Scheduled jobs
- Find the jobs 'Synchronize attachments with cloud' and 'Update attachments from cloud'
Yes, you can. To that goal you should prepare a separate sync model on the configuration tab. Then, for each of those apply filters: for example by type of a project.
Try to make filters self-exclusive in order a document can be definitely assigned. For instance, 'customer but not supplier', 'supplier but not customer'. Otherwise, a specific document folder would jump from one model to another.
Yes, you can. To this end:
Turn on debug mode
Go to technical settings > Automation > Scheduled jobs
Find the jobs 'Synchronize attachments with cloud' and 'Update attachments from cloud'.
Take into account that you should not make them too frequent. It would be better if that this job should be finished until a new one is started. Thus, the configuration should depend on how many items you to sync you have. Usually, the frequency is set up between 10 minutes to 4 hours.
Make also sure that you have set up enough time limits in your Odoo configuration file. Thus, LIMIT_TIME_CPU and LIMIT_TIME_REAL parameters should be equal or bigger than planned cron job time.
An import notice for Odoo.sh clients: the maximum time for cron job might be set up as 15 minutes.
For Odoo v12 Enterprise you have 2 options:
To sync only standard documents' attachments, but not to sync folders' and files' structure related to the Enterprise module 'Documents'.
To sync both Odoo standard attachments and to reflect Enterprise Documents' folders/files. In such a case you need an extra add-in Cloud Sync for Enterprise Documents (44 Euro).
No. We have strong reasons to avoid real time sync:
Performance issues. In case a sync is real time, each file upload will result in the loading screen.
Conflict issues. If 2 users simultaneously change an item, it might lead to unresolved situations. In case of regular jobs we can fix it afterwards, while in case of real time we would need to save it as some queue, and it will be even more misleading for users.
Functionality issues. In particular, renaming and restructuring of items. In the backward sync the tool strictly relies upon directories' logic, and during each sync 100% of items are checked. In case it is done after each update, it will be thousands of requests per second. If not: changes would be lost.
No, the tool relies upon a single user end point. It means that all sync processes are done under a single cloud admin (app). Access rights for created folders / files are not automatized. You should administrate those rights in your cloud storage solution.
All synced files are kept only in the clouds, in Odoo attachments become of the URL-type. When a user clicks on those, Odoo would redirect him/her to a cloud storage.
Yes, although in case of many folders / attachments to sync, the process might be slow. Simultaneously, our clients reported to us the environments with >10k partners and ~5k product variants to be synced, and the processes were acceptable.
A few points to emphasize:
The sync is constructed in such a way that anyway any item will be synced and will not be lost, although it might be not fast. It is guaranteed by first-in-first-out queues and by each job commits.
The number of objects might be limited logically. The models' configuration let you restrict sync of obsolete items (e.g there is no sense to sync archived partners or orders which are done 2 years ago).
No, since files are now kept in the cloud storage, and retrieving binary contents would consume a lot of resources. Odoo has a link which would redirect a user to a proper previewer or editor.
For models' directories (sale orders, opportunities, suppliers, etc.): you may assign your own name on the configuration tab for any document type.
For objects' folders (SO-001, John Smith, etc.): the tool relies upon the Odoo 'name_get' method for this document type. In case you need to make a different title, you should re-define this method for a specific model. It requires source code modification.
No, the module works with the pre-defined structure of folders:
Odoo – a core folder for sync
Models – folders for each Odoo document type. For example, 'Projects', 'Partners'. Distinguished by domain there might be more specific folders: e.g., 'Customer 1 Projects', 'Projects of the Customer 2', 'Internal Projects', etc.
Objects – folders for each document, e.g. 'Project 1' or 'Customer 1'
Files and folders related to this Odoo document to be synced.
As a result you may have for instance:
Odoo / Projects / Project 1 / files and folders related to the project 1
Odoo / Customer 1 Projects / Project 1; Odoo / Customer 2 Projects / Project 3, ...
Odoo / Customers / Customer 1 / files and folders related to the customer 1
This structure is always flat, meaning that there are only those levels of hierarchy. Thus, it is correct that various document types can't be done within the same structure. Within the folder 'Customer 1' we can't keep the files related both to sale orders, invoices, and projects. Each of those document type has an own (or a few own) folders. Otherwise, we will not have a chance to make backward synchronisation, since there would be no criteria to rely upon.
No, the tool is only a technical core. You also need the connector for your cloud client.
Yes, depending on your cloud client configuration.
According to the current Odoo Apps Store policies:
every module bought for the version 12.0 and prior gives you an access to the all versions up to 12.0.
starting from the version 13.0, every version of the module should be purchased separately.
disregarding the version, purchasing a tool grants you a right for all updates and bug fixes within a major version.
Take into account that Odoo Tools team does not control those policies. By all questions please contact the Odoo Apps Store representatives directly.
Sorry, but no. We distribute the tools only through the official Odoo apps store
Unzip source code of purchased tools in one of your Odoo add-ons directory
Re-start the Odoo server
Turn on the developer mode (technical settings)
Update the apps' list (the apps' menu)
Find the app and push the button 'Install'
Follow the guidelines on the app's page if those exist.
Yes, all modules marked in dependencies are absolutely required for a correct work of our tool. Take into account that price marked on the app page already includes all necessary dependencies.
Yes, sure. Take into account that Odoo automatically adds all dependencies to a cart. You should exclude previously purchased tools.
Regretfully, we do not have a technical possibility to provide individual prices.
Red / orange warning itself does not influence features of the app. Regretfully, sometimes our modules do not pass standard automatic tests, since the latter assumes behavior which is in conflict with our apps goals. For example, we change price calculation, while standard Odoo module tests compare final price to standard algorithm.
So, first of all, please check deployed database features. Does everything work correctly?
If you still assume that warning influences real features, please contact us and forward full installation logs and the full lists of deployed modules (including core and third party ones).
As soon as you purchased the app, the button 'Deploy on Odoo.sh' will appear on the app's page in the Odoo store. Push this button and follow the instructions.
Take into account that for paid tools you need to have a private GIT repository linked to your Odoo.sh projects
No, third party apps can not be used on Odoo Online.
The module features and support depend on your Odoo version. Please select required one on the top right of this page.
We guarantee to provide a working plan by your issue within 5 days. The most of issues are solved within 2 business days.
This tool has been developed in cooperation with IT Libertas - one of the leading Odoo integrators in Russia.